Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Are You a Risk Taker?

I’ve wanted to write a post now for a while that has a little bit more deeper content than just telling you about our day to day life. I haven’t really thought of anything ‘blogworthy’ but over the past week Jeff and I have been talking about the decisions we have and are making for our future. Which leads me to the question, are you a risk taker?


I am certainly not a risk taker and I don’t think it’s a bad thing. When I’m presented with a decision or opportunity I like to take the time to go away and research, think, write down the pros and cons, think some more and talk about it a lot. I don’t normally rush into anything no matter how big or small it may be.

I’m also one to look more on the negative side of things than on the good. Yes, when it comes to decisions (especially big ones) I’m more of a cup if half empty kind of girl. I like to prepare for the worst because if all goes well I am usually pleasantly surprised.

As a teacher I have been taught that it is good to teach children how to take sensible risks especially with their learning. I agree that taking risks is important, it allows us to make mistakes and learn from them and it also helps us achieve things we never thought we could. But how do we know what a ‘sensible’ risk is?

I think it’s something that won’t hugely affect the rest of your life or have big consequences for the future. For example it’s been a risk taking out a loan and planning to build a house but we believe it is a necessary risk and a positive step in married life. We live with our decision every day, we learn more each day and we pray that it will have a positive impact on our lives in the future…. A house for us to live in!!!!

So are you a risk taker and why or why not?

2 comments:

JustBekky said...

Definitely a risk taker. Some of the best adventures of my life came from taking risks. Measured and calculated risks? Yes. But definitely risks nonetheless. I'd rather take a risk and have an adventure and learn something new than to spend the rest of my life wondering, "what if I had taken a chance..?"

Jeffrey and Carmen said...

Good point Bekky. Some of my best adventures have been when I’ve taken a risk too! I agree that sometimes we need to let go of the worries and see what happens! Thanks for the comment :)