Thursday, October 9, 2008

Loosing Tradition


Tonight I’ve been having a look through the wedding photos from my friend’s weddings and just a general look on google at wedding pictures. This got me thinking about weddings and marriage in general and it’s quite disappointing that getting married and having a wedding has lost its traditional value and meaning in our society.

When you are planning a wedding there is a lot to think about which I am definitely looking forward to someday (soon I hope) but amongst the dress, flowers, ceremony, cars, rings, suits and other arrangements I really sense that we’ve lost the reason for actually having a wedding and yet it is such a beautiful concept.

The father walks his daughter down the isle handing over something that is so precious to him to a man who loves his daughter and is going to take care of her for the rest of his life, make her his life. A public declaration of two peoples love for one another and the committing to one another for the rest of their lives.

I believe that marriage is almost a ‘trend’ in our society and not a lifetime commitment. When Jeff and I get married someday it will be a lifetime commitment protected and bond in strength by our Lord God and with our love for one another.

No comments: