The kids at school are always learning best when they can do hands on activities and discover things by 'doing'. Well i totally believe that we never grow out of this and we discover the best ways to do things by actually 'doing' them and even making mistakes with them.
Tonight i decided to make my own fresh bread, not because we needed bread but because I wanted to see if I could actually do it. Turns out I can make bread and it was such a great achievement. If you want to give it a try its actually not that difficult, this is what I did.
3 and half cups of plain flour
1 sachet dried Yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 and half cups lukewarm water (too hot will kill the yeast)
some melted butter for brushing the bread and greasing the pan
1. combind the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the middle and pour in the lukewarm water. Mix together til a dough forms
3. On a floured surface knead for about 5mins. When you can press a finger print in and it pops back out than its done. (Kneading mixs the yeast through properly so its important)
4. Brush the sides of a large bowl with melted butter and roll your dough around it so you lightly cover the sides of it (this stops the dough from drying out while it sits). Leave it to sit in a warm, dry places for about 1hrs or until its doubled in size. (In and oven that is off and not still hot is a good place)
5. After an hour take it out of the bowl and punch the dough once (this released the extra air) knead the dough on the floured surface until its back to its orignal size.
6. Break into two even pieces and mould into a small of the same shape.
7. Grease a loaf sized pan with the melted butter and put in the two pieces of dough, side by side. Brush with a little butter on top.
8. Cover with plastic and let them sit in a dry, warm place for 30mins (they will rise again)
9. Brush with water and add seeds of your choice.
10. Cook in the oven for 30mins. (Tap the bottom when its done and if its hollow than its cooked)
11. Take out of loaf pan straight away and rest til its cool and ready to cut.
In other news Jeff gets his car today so if anyone knows someone who wants to buy a black skyline than please give them my number!