Tuesday, May 6, 2008

20 Days at School!


Today was my 20th day of being a REAL teacher! Over the past few months I have been doing supply and work has started to pick up for me. I've been getting quite a few calls to work which is fantastic! Single days or 2 - 3 days are brilliant as they are classified as 'Relief' days which means more pay. Long periods such as the 3 weeks I did with prep are just contracts which aren't as much money. Either way its work and I'm loving it!



So far I have taught Prep, Year 1/2 and year 6/7. To any 1st year teachers I would really recommend you did some supply as it really is a great way to learn. You get to teach a variety of year levels and have many different class types. I've had some really good classes and I've had some REALLY bad classes! Some of the biggest lessons I've learnt so far are


- The best way to speak to a whole class group (Slow down when you speak and be VERY clear)


- How to deal with 'situations' (Talk to all the children involved and ALWAYS try to get to the bottom of the problem.)


- How to deal with parents (don't take anything personally)


- Behaviour Management (there is just so much)


- Thinking on you're feet (always have an activity on hand)


- Stopping the class (Clapping, Simon Says, counting, folding arms, ringing a bell, 1,2,3 eyes on me ... etc)


- Voice Volume (don't speak loud EVER!!!!! Save your scary voice until you REALLY need it)


- Packing up (always takes a long time no matter how old they are)


- Stopping them talking (giving them warnings, names on the board, Taking away rewards etc)




However the biggest and most important lesson I have learnt is this. I am a first year teacher and I cannot expect to get it all right the first time. I am always learning... even from the mistakes. However I am NOT terrible at what I do and I need to reflect on both the good and bad. Staying positive is important and now and again you will see you're hard efforts pay off. Treasure those times!

No comments: